lunes, 6 de abril de 2009

Taxes and Phil Jackson

I have to do my tax return before April the 14th. I decided to pay someone to do it for me just because not being a citizen makes things a little more complicated and also because I really don't want to mess with the IRS, thank you very much.
Long story short, I got my taxes done by a company called H&R Block. The slogan of this company is "You've got people ", meaning that if the IRS happens to audit you, they will back you up with legal assistance and that kind of stuff. So, they are supposed to know what they are doing.
I've come to realize that most peple in the U.S. use their taxes as a saving account. They get have more taxes taken throughout the year in order to get some money back at the end. But in my case, the lady that did my F.T.s (Freaking Taxes) told me that I would have to pay more than a thousand dollards (Sayonara San Diego Vacation). I know nothing about taxes, and truth be told, I don't want to know. I wasn't completely convinced that my taxes had been filed correctly but the idea of trying to understand why, put me to sleep so somehow I convinced my brain that I didn't have the capacity to understand the F.T.s and that I should trust the people who did. So, I had the tax return on my dinning table the entire week, hesitant to send it but unwilling to do some research on it. This Sunday as I was getting ready to finally sing the damn thing and send it, along with my frustrated San Diego's Vacation check, I decide to take a look at a bunch of tax-information-in-the -smallest-font -possible that one of my friends from work had given me.
To my own surprise, not only was I able to understand it, but I found why my tax return was incorrect. And it felt so good to realize that I am still capable of learning something new and that my brain wasn't completely burned by all the sleepless nights in architecture school. I guess all I have to do is pass the barrier of lazyness and find the person eager to learn that lies somewhere inside of me. (Very deep down inside of me).
On a separate note, that will nonetheless intertwine with all the tax thing, the other night we went to Applebee's and got seats right in front of a huge TV so we were kind of forced to watch a basketball game (which I haven't done in years). It was the Lakers v.s. the Rockets and all of a sudden the image of the coach was on the screen. I said: look who it is!. Daniel said, yeah! is the guy who used to train the Bulls. Then I said, What's his name?? ...mmm... and a secret part of me (that apparently likes sports) said: Is Phil Jackson!.
I realize that knowing Phil Jackson's name is not a great achievement, but I am honestly surprised of the amount of useless information that I have stored in my brain, unbeknownst to me. Maybe that is why I think I am uncapable of learning anything new: my head is full of lyrics to songs from the 90's and of basketball teams and their coach. Crap.

Question: How much memory do I have left?
Question 2: How to purge my brain?

4 comentarios:

Guso dijo...

What's with the english?

Gris dijo...

Se me ocurrio :)

webita dijo...

ah jijos!... me salió una cana!!!

Lalillo dijo...

Hey! you need all that crap in your in order nobody says you are an airhead.

And also to have nice and charmin conversation...and to write an interesting blog.